Most all solopreneurs and small business owners would love to double or triple sales. Many are challenged with juggling so many balls simultaneously and doing everything we can to keep any one from falling, that we often stay so business working in our business that we fail to step back to work on our business.
I’m writing this blog post because I want to help several kinds of people. I’ve worked with all kinds of clients over the last 12 years. Here’s a short list of who this content is for (that way you don’t have to waste your time reading if it’s not for you).
- Affiliate Marketers
- Life, Health, Relationship, or Business Coaches or Consultants
- Non-Fiction Authors
- Expert Service Professionals
- Pastors and Communication Leaders within Ministries
I have and continue to touch people in each of those 5 niche areas. I love serving people who want to change the lives of people by adding value to the world by maximizing their unique blend of values, dreams and passions; skills, talents, and abilities; and their personality.
No matter how excited we are about making a difference… we have to work within the confines of the digital world where products and services are sold. As entrepreneurs and small business owners, that means we need to work smarter when it comes to serving those within our sphere of influence.
If you (or someone you know) markets and sells products or services online, this post will outline 21 proven methods to convert a higher percentage of website visitors and prospects into buyers. The strategies below also include pre-selling and the process of generating leads. Please do not underestimate the impact just ONE of these strategies can have on your business. Here’s a brief story to illustrate.
Case Study: From Failure to Flourishing in 60 Days
- Company: Jentec Manufacturing (EZ Cable Clips)
- Challenge: $12,000 in Gross Sales/Month – struggling to keep the doors open; they were on the verge of closing their doors and going out of business.
- Solution: Created a Unique Selling Proposition to stand out from competitors
- Result: $55,000 in Gross Sales/Month in 60 Days (358% growth)
There was a small company struggling to survive. They were selling ‘cable clips’, but struggling to keep the doors open. They were getting plenty of phone calls, but buyers were price shopping them until they were given a real reason to buy. After they created a Unique Selling Proposition (USP) and started selling the value that mattered to buyers, sales went through the roof in just 60 days. They experienced a 358% growth in gross revenue from implementing just one of the strategies on the list below.
Every strategy listed below is a proven way to boost conversion. I’ve placed the best of the best at the top of the list.
Anyone who reads this and takes action can position their company for explosive growth in 2018 and beyond.
21 Proven Strategies to Boost Website Conversion
- Research and Complete a Customer Avatar Profile (Download the Worksheet) – the biggest reason customers don’t buy is because they’re not sure it’s a solution to their problem or concern. The better we know and understand our ideal customer, the easier it is to generate leads (i.e. building a responsive email list and close sales). Creating a Customer Avatar Profile is the best way to pinpoint the ideal customer in a market and build a relationship of trust where they want to buy from you. There are 5 key areas that need to be understood to generate more leads and sales:
- Challenges and Pain Points
- Goals and Values
- Sources of Information
- Role in the Decision-Making Process & Potential Objections
- (Want the Customer Avatar Worksheet? After filling in the blanks, it will become easier than ever to write winning ads, landing pages, and email follow-up sequences. Simply complete the form at the end of this blog post and I’ll send it to you completely free.)
- Develop a Unique Selling Proposition (USP) aka Compelling Value Proposition – a USP is an answer to the following question, “Why should someone buy from you instead of choosing another product or service (including the option to do nothing at all)?
- Have a Company USP – this tells your ideal customer why they should buy from your company.
- Create Product USPs – this tells your ideal customer why they should buy this specific product.
- Always Use Promotional USPs – this tells your ideal customer why they should respond to your advertisement instead of the other Facebook Ad, Google Adwords Ad, or any other promotional piece.
- Need help developing a USP? Take a look at my video comprehensive video training course, SimpleUSPSystem.com.
- Provide Social Proof of Your Ability to Deliver Results – we live in a “Reputation Economy” where buyers regularly look for reviews to understand how a service provider is thought of by their previous customers. Research says 49% of buyers will not do business with a company if they don’t have at least a 4-star reputation. What’s key here is to create and implement a system for collecting customer feedback on a regular basis, and then marketing your 4 and 5-star reviews for prospective customers to see them.
- Make Jaw Dropping Offers & Test Them – knowing how to create an offer is critical to the success of small business owners today. The service provider who delivers the greatest value in the eyes of the consumer wins. Creating what some people refer to as an “Irresistible Offer” or a “Jaw-Dropping Offer” is another way to differentiate your value from competitors. When all else fails… a Jaw-Dropping Offer will win every time! Why? Because everyone likes to feel good about getting a deal. For example. If two people are both selling the same (smart tv, smartphone, jewelry, relationship coaching, 10-page website design service, etc.), one of them can create an offer that leaves their competitor in the dust. Here are a few keys to creating irresistible offers:
- Have a Hook – this is where you promise to solve a desperate problem your ideal customer wants to be solved yesterday.
- Give Bonuses that Add Value – when you understand what troubles your ideal customer, you can create bonuses that compliment your main offer in a way that multiplies the value of what you’re delivering.
- Overall Value Must Be Clear – if your buyers understand what it would cost for them to create the solution you’re presenting WITHOUT your help, they should appreciate the value you’re delivering.
- Terms can relate to a single payment, multiple payment options, or full payment that includes a 10% discount.
- Delivery – how is your product or service delivered? I’ve taken a $2,000 service and made it affordable (under $500) for smaller business owners by creating videos that allow my clients to consume the content at a pace that makes sense for them. I can charge a lower rate because I’m not delivering 1-on-1 consulting. My clients get exceptional value at a price they can afford
- Guarantee – are you willing to make a guarantee? This is one of the strongest forms of “risk-reversal” to help your customer feel safe.
- Reason Why You’re Promoting This – buyers will often question your motives when you place an “irresistible offer” in front of them. Being transparent and authentic here is a great way to build trust and close more sales.
- Scarcity – limit the number of units sold, or have a cutoff date. Consumers will often delay moving forward unless they know they will lose out. l
- Give Prospects a Reason to Buy (or Take Some Kind of Action) RIGHT NOW! – we all have a million things on our minds today and will procrastinate spending money. This is especially true with high-ticket items. We have to learn how to use scarcity to get prospects off the fence and into decision mode.
- Build an Email List and a Multi-Step Follow Up System with Emails & an Autoresponder – research has proven it takes anywhere from 5 to 12 touches (on average) to close a sale. The majority of small business owners are far too busy to manually touch their prospects a handful of times. Don’t even think about touches 6-12. Who has time for that? However, email marketing is the one strategy that’s proven to deliver anywhere from $38-$44 dollars in ROI for every dollar invested. Now, if you’re not sure how to use email marketing to accomplish this type of result, you can hire an email copywriter to craft a compelling follow-up series. Beginning copywriters (who’ve been training and understand how to make this work) will typically charge $100 or more per email.Or, you can invest in a comprehensive email marketing training that comes with 80 proven email templates that have produced million dollar sales promotions. Terry Dean’s 80 templates, coupled with his over the shoulder video tutorials, makes it dead-simple for a total beginner to create effective emails really quickly. You can learn more about his program at GetAutoresponderAlchemy.com.
- ActiveCampaign – allows you to build intelligent email campaigns using the power of marketing automation.
- GetConvertBox.com (Fairly Universal) – there is a very limited lifetime pilot program that’s available right now, but it will be closing soon. You can pay $195 one time and own this application for life.
- ThriveLeads (WordPress Only)
- Use Video in Your Sales Processes – marketers who use video grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users. One of the reasons Facebook Live, Periscope, and live video media has taken off is because video converts much better than just having text and images on a page. It’s one of the reasons I’m going to record video to introduce this blog post over the next 7 days. (One of the secrets to being productive in business is to get into massive action, and tweak as you go. Knowing that… I’m posting this post without a video initially, and then I’ll update it within 7 days.) Here are the most common types of video.
- Talking Head Videos
- Explainer Videos
- Animated Videos
- Logo Animations and Stingers
- White/Blackboard Videos
- Testimonial & Review Videos
- Do all ads and marketing materials conform to basic direct marketing response rules? – direct response accountable marketing has been responsible for billions of dollars in sales.
- Attention Grabbing Headlines that Speak to Your Ideal Customer
- Compelling Offers
- Clear Call-to-Action
- Appeal to What Matters to Buyers
- Establish Greater Value
- Alleviate Psychological Pain & Eliminating Regret
- Love / Friendship
- Want & Desire
- Fear of Loss
- Develop joint ventures by building relationships with people who already have your ideal customer – begin by asking yourself the question, “Who has / services my customer?” Real estate professionals have partnered with mortgage loan officers for years. I know of CPAs who’ve partnered with Financial Planners. The possibilities are endless.
- Re-run your successful promotions – a great way to approach this is to create a marketing calendar and keep track of what works. One of the best tools on the market I’ve invested in is the Cashflow Calendar by Troy White.
- Survey your customers to stay current with what they want – surveys are a great way to better understand your ideal customer so you can service them with a higher degree of accuracy. Here are three questions you can use:
- Install and Review a Website Analytics Application
- Google Analytics
- Click Magick
- Visual Website Optimizer
- Use One PRIMARY Call to Action on Each Page of Your Website – in general, every website should have two goals. To generate leads and sales. Even if the ‘sale’ is not transactional. Brick and mortar businesses have to “sell” prospects on coming to their physical location in order to buy. A website ought to have one major call-to-action (CTA) that matches the overall goal of that website. That needs to be really clear and obvious.
- Place Buttons Above the Fold on Desktop and Mobile – for anyone who is unfamiliar, above the fold means your website visitor can see and click or tap your buttons without having to scroll. Consumers have been trained to expect easy access in today’s marketplace. Any small business owner who’s website ignores this rule will find it hard to boost website conversion rate.
- Place customer-centric calls to action near the top of the page on mobile – with a growing number of people accessing our websites on mobile devices, we need to examine both desktop and mobile websites to ensure both versions are Customer-Focused.
- Test Your Website Copy – some service providers have seen a bump in conversion as high as 30% just by testing website copy.
- Use Scarcity Timers to Create a Sense of Urgency – when people see a timer on a page, it clearly communicates the limited window in which a specific offer will be available.
- GetConvertBox.com – this app has countdown timers build into the app. Again, anyone who buys at the time this post is being written the first time can get lifetime access for one price.
- DeadlineFunnel.com – while I’ve never personally used this app… I’m very familiar with Jack Born, the developer of Deadline Funnel. I know numbers of people who use this app and think highly of it. Two of the successful marketing coaches I’ve paid use it as well, one of which is Perry Marshall.
- Location Detection – find out where your website visitors are coming from and bring them to landing pages that are specific to where they’re coming from. Website Analytics make this possible. GetConvertBox can place specific offers in front of people on the basis of what website they came from.
- Optimize Your Checkout Process – it’s a proven fact that many sales are lost in the checkout cart because the process is clunky and filled with friction. buyers want a checkout process that’s smooth. Just recently, I found a checkout page that was not mobile friendly. I’m certain that vendor is losing money. One of the things I love about Thrive Cart is the mobile-friendly pages. I grabbed it a couple years ago. Again, for a limited time, action takers can get access to what I believe is the best shopping cart on the market for a one-time price before it’s sold on a monthly like 1ShoppingCart, SamCart, and so many others. Click the link below for additional details.
- Ask for the easiest information first
- Consider a 2-step checkout
- Have an appropriate upsell in your checkout process
- Add pictures of Real People to Your Website – this has created a jump in conversions by as much as 46%
- Install a Heat Map – this is an app that provides a type of ‘x-ray vision’ to see how website visitors are interacting with your website. If you can see the places where people are
- Use a Quiz or Calculator to deliver value and build engagement with your audience – these are great because they build engagement and add value when used correctly. Many solutions have a lead generation component built in so that business owners can collect a name and email address.
I am committed to helping my clients to become more productive and profitable when it comes to getting and keeping customers. That’s why I wrote this post.
As I come across additional conversion strategies, I will update this blog post accordingly.
If you would like to receive a PDF copy of this list of 21 Conversion Strategies, please complete the form you see on this page. In addition, anyone who signs up will automatically receive updates to the list as they are made.
I’d love to hear your feedback. If you know of a strategy that’s not listed here… please comment below and I’ll add it to the list if it makes sense.
Most of all… take action by identifying 1 or 2 items from this list you can implement this week. Start generating more leads and sales by prioritizing your conversion rate, and be sure to share your success in the comments below, or mention it on my Facebook page.